It was an historic moment at Stockwood Discovery Centre on Thursday when the stolen Wenlok Jug finally went back on public display.
The 14th century jug, worth £750,000, was stolen from the centre in May 2012 and recovered by Beds Police the following September at a property in Tadworth, Surrey.
Since then, the curatorial team at the museum have been upgrading the site’s security and setting up a new case for the exhibit to ensure its safety.
A Luton Culture spokesperson said: “As I’m sure you are all aware, the theft of the priceless artefact was a huge shock to museum staff and visitors, but thanks to the incredible work of Bedfordshire Police, it was recovered, and we are now ready to put it back on display for the whole community to enjoy again.”
Excited students from Barnfield South Academy were there to see the famous local artefact returned in the special ceremony.
In November 2012 a group of Barnfield South students took a surprise trip to their primary school to see the rare item, which was part of a high security operation at the time due to its recent theft.
When the jug was stolen the Barnfield students were in Year 6 at Tennyson Road Primary and had written to the museum to offer their sympathies.
They also helped to raise awareness of the stolen jug by making wanted posters which were displayed in the museum foyer.
For this reason, the students were invited to join Thursday’s VIP event.
Barnfield South Academy Principal Cathy Barr said: “Our students were thrilled to be invited to this memorable and important occasion. Having had the previous involvement with the jug, they were delighted to be able to witness its return to its rightful home. Thank you to Luton Museums for the invitation.”
The bronze jug is believed to be one of only three similar jugs in the UK.
It is thought the jug was given to the Wenlok family of Luton - possibly William Wenlock who died in 1391 and is buried under St Mary’s Parish Church.
In March this year two men who were involved in the theft of the Wenlok Jug were sentenced to a total of eight years in prison.
Ronald Nash, 23, of Tadworth in Surrey, was given three years and three months in prison for handling stolen property and being concerned in the supply of Class A drugs.
Louis Kybert, 25, of Barnstead in Surrey, was given five years in prison for the possession of two stun guns which were disguised as mobile phones, and being concerned in the supply of class A drugs.
He was also given a concurrent three month sentence for breaking a previous suspended sentence.